It is really fun to discover new ways to work with your website and be creative with how you present information.
Anything that makes it easier for your visitors to find what they came for is a winner in my book!
In this article, I want to show you how creating jump links also called anchor links in WordPress can help you make your user experience better.
Of course, I made you a video ♥️ and, as always, scroll down below the video to see written instructions of how to add anchor links (or jump links) to your WordPress website.
- First, you will open the page you want to add your hyperlinked text to. In my video example, I used the ABOUT page.
- Locate the text you want to hyperlink, select it and click the link button in your WordPress editor screen. Find the page on your site you want to link to or add the url.
- Now toggle to the text tab and find the hyperlinked text.
- Decide on a unique id for your anchor/jump link. It must begin with a letter. In my example I used jump.
- At the end of the url add #YOUR UNIQUE ID in my case it was #jump
- Now, you will open the page you are linking to… find the location on the page you want your visitors to be sent to.
- Once you determine the location on the page, open the text view of the editor and add <a id=”jump”></a>
You might have to play around with where you add the anchor link to get it to scroll as you would like. For instance, I found I needed to add my unique anchor id a bit higher on the page than where I really wanted to send my visitors to.
Want a PDF to print out and reference while you try this on your own? Here you go…
This free PDF will also be in our free Resource Library.